|
posted : Monday, November 29, 2010
title : Story
New story (partially written)!! Please provide feedback on the tagboard. Thanks! :D
***** There is a sudden disorientation as my mind slowly absorbs the surrounding. One minute ago I faintly hear the chaos of nurses and doctors trying to resuscitate me, my limp body heaving with the activation of the cardiac pump. The next, I feel darkness closing in on me, my now defunct body exhaling the last breath of air. I look around me. I hear doctors in the operating room frantically signalling to nurses. The atmosphere is intense, but I can feel hope draining. It is almost unnoticeable – slight hesitations in actions, a soft sigh of surrender. It is as though everyone in the ER are warriors battling against an invisible and invincible enemy of death. Persist they must; until with a single and monotonous beep of the heart monitor, all movements cease and all eyes fixate upon the single horizontal line stretching across the screen. It was their command to stop. There is nothing left, nothing more that can be done which have not already been attempted. I stand beside what looks like my body. I feel ethereal. As I stare down at what was once the bodily shell of my soul, I cannot help but feel an overwhelming sadness for my loss. Hell, I feel like I’m stripped naked, standing in a pool of nothingness. ***** She is outside. Her arms are bandaged, legs casted. Beside her, a pair of crutches stood leaning against the wall’s rough surface. There are tears streaking down her cheeks. I can tell from how her cheeks are now terribly stained with the black strokes of her mascara that she has been crying for long. I instinctively stretch my hands forward to stroke her beautiful face, and stop. I am devoid of a body; I can no longer feel the tingling sensations of touch. I am left with a dull ache, for I can only stare at her; what was once mine can no longer see, hear or feel me. This relationship that once flourished through reciprocity has suddenly become a one-sided affair, and I feel more alone than ever. Imperceptibly, I remember the whole incident. We were cruising along the I-90. There was a heated argument about how each was less compromising than the other. She complained of my incessant late night shifts. That we no longer spend quality time together; that all marriage boils down to, is a hopeless insignificant agreement between couples who prove their love to others in the heat of the moment. She was manning the wheel. I was trying to coax her, reassure her. While shoving my hand away, she lost control. In an instant lack of focus, there was a white flash of blinding light accompanied by a heavy crash of vehicle against tree. My body lurched forward and hit the dashboard. Shards of glass from the cracked window sliced the peripherals of my arms, face, and head. The last image I see - blood streaking down a feminine face; eyes that shone rich blue, like the deep sea. I see her mouthing the words “I’m sorry”, and all I can do is drift away, into what I now know is death. |