
I peeled back my heavy eyelids and took a moment to readjust myself to from dream to reality. The clouds outside took on a luminous dark shade, so terrifying, so angry. Distant rumblings of thunder and the pitter-patter of rain against the window panes, made snuggling under bed covers for an extra minute so worth it, so calming. I reached out my hand, snoozing the alarm clock- a replay of my favourite Black Eyed Peas song. With tremendous willpower but every bit reluctant, I begin my day: a wet start of a morning.
Wanting to pamper myself, I decided to cab to work, instead of joining the morning crowd in trains and buses. Sheltering myself with an umbrella, I stood at the sidewalk, flagging for cabs as they approach. One after another, the red 'hired' sign stared defiantly at me. Cars swooshed past, speeding in the morning rush to work. I stood there waiting, sometimes getting my hopes up as I caught sight of the green 'available' sign of a distant cab, only to have my hopes dashed when someone standing further ahead managed to hop in. I checked my watch every now and then, aware that 30 minutes have passed. I was in a limbo, not knowing if I should continue waiting, or take a public transport. Eventually I decided on the latter, only to reflect back and think of the gravity of my prior decision.
Choices, I realised, no matter the magnitude, have an effect on your life. You can never rewind the effect of a prior choice, but only make another decision to net out its earlier effects. What life truly boils down to, is the accumulation of how everyday choices pan out your future. You'll be surprised, just how many people turn into StarBucks addicts, just because one day, one time, they just decided give the latest Starbucks frappe, macchiato, latte, expresso.. a shot of a lifetime.